Smiling Mind Regional and Rural Schools Program
Smiling Mind is bringing their evidence-based mindfulness social and emotional learning program to 600 regional and rural schools across the country in 2021. Australian Government funding will enable Smiling Mind to offer the program free of charge to a number of schools in Western Australia.
Through a whole-school approach to support student mental health and wellbeing, the Schools Program provides training, resources and support to help schools implement and sustain meaningful and impactful change.
Delivered fully online, participating schools will have access to:
- in-depth training for staff on mindfulness and the Smiling Mind mindfulness based social and emotional learning program, and practical guidance on how to implement its benefits for staff and students alike in diverse school environments;
- surveys and measurement tools, developed in conjunction with the Australian Council for Educational Research (ACER), so schools can see for themselves the impact of the program;
- resources to support sustainable implementation of the program, including tools to support parent and carer engagement; and
- ongoing support from Smiling Mind’s psychologists and mindfulness experts.
Who is eligible to apply?
- All remote and very remote schools are eligible to apply, irrespective of ICSEA.
- Inner regional, outer regional, and ACT schools are eligible if they have an ICSEA less than or equal to 1,000.
Smiling Mind is running virtual information sessions in February and March, where interested teachers, school leaders, and those from the education sector can learn more about the program and how we’re planning to roll it out across the country from 2021 onwards. Follow this link for further information and registration.