We met; we laughed; we learned. What more could anyone ask for? The MLTAWA's first ever Teachmeet was a resounding success.
Languages teachers, primary and secondary, city and country, new and experienced met at the superb Newman Siena Centre on 21 September to experience this fun way to learn from each other. The inovation was appreciated (Thanks Claire.) the organisation was efficient (Thanks, Fulvia, Nadia and Lynne.) and the wine and cheese delicious (Thanks Alda.).
What is a Teachmeet?
Esentially it's teachers sharing ideas, quickly, simply and with practical tips for success in the classroom. Volunteer presenters opted to speak for either two or seven minutes and the range of topics was impressive:
- Danielle showed how easy Blubbr makes it to create an online quiz based on a YouTube clip. Try Danielle's examples: Indonesian adventure or Story of my life.
- Mariel talked about CLIL and described how she is integrating Japanese and Art in her primary classes. For more about CLIL in Australian classes check this VicEd site.
- Kate explained the IB (International Baccalaureate) in a nutshell and showed how languages learning fits so well.
- Moya and Penny showed two cute ways to create individual whiteboards for student use.
- Nadia and Lina related their experiences at the 2013 AFMLTA conference in Canberra.
- Jiequi presented the ABC bookscreated by her students as a culture and language task.
- Penny, ever the overachiever, provided an extensive list of ideas and recommended gadgets. (See Best buys 2013, available for download below.)
For more detail see the Australian Teachmeet site and be sure to click on the WA tab for news of local events.