This professional learning session explores the features of rich tasks in language learning and will allow participants to design their own task for implementation to a specific group of learners. Rich and culminating tasks, combined with an inquiry approach, help to build confidence, connect students to the rest of the world, maximise engagement and allow for deep learning. Teachers will be encouraged to ‘think outside the box’ and their own discipline and decide on suitable assessment strategies for the task, which are often more complex than sitting a test.
AISWA language teachers who participate in this workshop will be provided with ongoing support and advice from the Languages Consultant to develop and refine their task and assessment strategies.
Participants will be required to bring their laptop/device.
Clare Slyth (AISWA Staff)
Consultant | Teaching And Learning
Clare is one of our Teaching and Learning Consultants for Languages. She provides support, advice and professional learning to schools on teaching strategies, curriculum, and resources. Prior to this role, Clare taught Mandarin for 6 years in a primary context, with experience in using and training others in the WA Curriculum. Previously, she worked as an EALD teacher in Shanghai, China. Apart from Mandarin, she has learned to speak French, Thai and Romanian. Clare is passionate about sharing effective teaching practices and methodologies with teachers and seeing them succeed in their language teaching.
Terms & Conditions
AISWA Professional Learning – In Person Event
- Detailed In Person event T&Cs here. Below is an overview only.
In Person event conditions
- Attendance records: Participants must sign-in on the day to confirm attendance. A member school can also view this data for their staff.
- Privacy disclaimer: PL Events may be live-streamed, recorded or photographed by AISWA for sharing. Attendees have the right to be excluded from such records but must notify AISWA of their wishes before the start of the event. NB: This condition was acknowledged during registration. See full T&Cs here.
- Attendee swaps: Acceptable. The organiser must be notified. There are conditions.
- Walk Ins: Any non-registered attendee MUST disclose this to AISWA on arrival. A correct registration process can then be followed.
- IT Acceptable Use Policy: Compliance with this policy for the use of AISWA’s on-site equipment, internet and website is required.
- Payment Conditions: Price includes GST. Credit card payment only for Guests. Member schools will be invoiced post-event.
- Cancellation: Cancellation is without charge if prior to Cancellation Permitted date. Cancellations via this website. Late cancellations or failure to attend will incur full cost. Refer any issues to the Event Organiser. If AISWA cancels a PL Event, attendees will be notified by email and any payment will be refunded.
- Free event non-attendance: A fee of $25 may apply. See full T&Cs.
Please click here to view our general terms and conditions
Kalgoorlie: Creating Rich Tasks in Languages
Date / Time14 Jun 2023 Starts: 09:00 Finishes: 15:00
Delivery Format : In Person
O'Connor Primary SchoolAddress
235 Johnston Street
Kalgoorlie WA 6430