The Association of Independent Schools was established in 1962 as a non-profit organisation to support, represent and promote the interests of Independent Schools. AISWA is incorporated under the Industrial Relations Act.
AISWA's constituent members include over 160 Independent Schools. As at the 2021 August Census, our member schools educate over 89,000 students accounting for just over 16% of Western Australian school enrolments. These schools employ over 7,500 teaching and over 5,500 non-teaching staff.
Supporting and serving our Independent Schools and their communities to be the best they can be.
Our Core Values
Statement of Intent
The provision of Professional Services and advice to promote excellence in Independent Schools, through:
- Effective representation and advocacy for the Independent School sector;
- Promoting the independence of schools and protect their autonomy in ways that contribute to the diversity of educational options for students;
- Maintaining strong relationships with the other education sectors and other education stakeholders;
- Supporting schools in their mission through fostering sound leadership and good governance, and
- Building partnerships between schools.
To fulfil our Purpose and Statement of Intent, the association has developed a Strategic Framework that will support schools in the Independent sector and lead to increased recognition of the value the Independent School sector provides to all Western Australians.