Professional learning relating to the issues faced by learners for whom English is an additional language or dialect (EAL/D). This session provides advice to primary and secondary classroom teachers to support such students, and to make use of the linguistic and cultural knowledge and understandings that EAL/D learners bring to the classroom.
Learning academic content in a second language raises issues that are considerably different from learning academic content in a familiar language. All teachers must be aware of and address the unique needs of EAL/D learners to allow them to be successful in school and life. Clarification around the nature and time it takes to acquire a second language, use of other languages in learning and testing is essential.
This professional learning event aims to:
- provide insight into what it is like to be an EAL/D learner
- offer advice on how to best support EAL/D learners in and beyond the classroom
- familiarise teachers with the EAL/D Progress Maps in order to plan for, monitor and assess learning
AISWA is running a repeat of this session in Term 3 (20 July, 2023).
Terms & Conditions
AISWA Professional Learning – In Person Event
- Detailed In Person event T&Cs here. Below is an overview only.
In Person event conditions
- Attendance records: Participants must sign-in on the day to confirm attendance. A member school can also view this data for their staff.
- Privacy disclaimer: PL Events may be live-streamed, recorded or photographed by AISWA for sharing. Attendees have the right to be excluded from such records but must notify AISWA of their wishes before the start of the event. NB: This condition was acknowledged during registration. See full T&Cs here.
- Attendee swaps: Acceptable. The organiser must be notified. There are conditions.
- Walk Ins: Any non-registered attendee MUST disclose this to AISWA on arrival. A correct registration process can then be followed.
- IT Acceptable Use Policy: Compliance with this policy for the use of AISWA’s on-site equipment, internet and website is required.
- Payment Conditions: Price includes GST. Credit card payment only for Guests. Member schools will be invoiced post-event.
- Cancellation: Cancellation is without charge if prior to Cancellation Permitted date. Cancellations via this website. Late cancellations or failure to attend will incur full cost. Refer any issues to the Event Organiser. If AISWA cancels a PL Event, attendees will be notified by email and any payment will be refunded.
- Free event non-attendance: A fee of $25 may apply. See full T&Cs.
Please click here to view our general terms and conditions
Supporting EAL/D Learners in the Classroom (Term 1)
Date / Time29 Mar 2023 Starts: 09:00 Finishes: 15:00
Delivery Format : In Person
AISWA Training Room Suite 1Address
Suite 1, 41 Walters Drive
Osborne Park WA 6017