|For Catholic Members
The teaching of handwriting remains an essential component of education for young learners across the early and primary years and is included in the WA curriculum (English).
This holiday workshop will share with participants, some key research on the benefits of handwriting and how it supports literacy learning. Resources to support planning and programming will be provided including resources from South Australia, Victoria, NSW as well and WA. Participants will have an opportunity to explore, discuss, and plan teaching, learning, and assessment activities during this interactive workshop.
Please note: schools are also encouraged and invited to contact AISWA to have this workshop take place in their school.
Christopher Witt (AISWA Staff)
Literacy Consultant | Animal Ethics Executive Officer
Christopher Witt joined AISWA in 2009. Prior to that he was a Consultant at STEPS Professional Development. At STEPS, Chris developed a literacy resource for secondary teachers: Tactical Teaching Reading. It included materials and professional learning courses and had great success nationally and internationally, helping many secondary teachers to successfully support literacy across their curriculum area.
After teaching for 25 years, Chris worked in various advisory and consultancy roles in curriculum improvement. He has been at AISWA for 12 years as a Literacy Consultant providing support for teachers and schools in professional learning and literacy improvement initiatives. This includes Sharp Reading, First Steps and Primary Connections. Key PL programs developed by Chris at AISWA include Scaffolding Adolescent Literacy and Programming and Assessment in English (P-10).
Terms & Conditions
AISWA Professional Learning – In Person Event
- Detailed In Person event T&Cs here. Below is an overview only.
In Person event conditions
- Attendance records: Participants must sign-in on the day to confirm attendance. A member school can also view this data for their staff.
- Privacy disclaimer: PL Events may be live-streamed, recorded or photographed by AISWA for sharing. Attendees have the right to be excluded from such records but must notify AISWA of their wishes before the start of the event. NB: This condition was acknowledged during registration. See full T&Cs here.
- Attendee swaps: Acceptable. The organiser must be notified. There are conditions.
- Walk Ins: Any non-registered attendee MUST disclose this to AISWA on arrival. A correct registration process can then be followed.
- IT Acceptable Use Policy: Compliance with this policy for the use of AISWA’s on-site equipment, internet and website is required.
- Payment Conditions: Price includes GST. Credit card payment only for Guests. Member schools will be invoiced post-event.
- Cancellation: Cancellation is without charge if prior to Cancellation Permitted date. Cancellations via this website. Late cancellations or failure to attend will incur full cost. Refer any issues to the Event Organiser. If AISWA cancels a PL Event, attendees will be notified by email and any payment will be refunded.
- Free event non-attendance: A fee of $25 may apply. See full T&Cs.
Please click here to view our general terms and conditions
Handwriting, Why and How to Teach It
Date / Time11 Apr 2024 Starts: 09:00 Finishes: 12:30
Delivery Format : In Person
AISWA Valerie Gould RoomAddress
Suite 2, 41 Walters Drive
Osborne Park WA 6017