In this highly engaging offering, internationally recognized inquiry experts Trevor MacKenzie and Jessica Vance will challenge your mind to rethink the role of the teacher and the learner in the inquiry classroom. You will participate in activities that can be immediately applied to your practice through practical instructional strategies that engage the questions, wonders and curiosities of learners that align to curricular standards and outcomes.
From the start of day one to the conclusion of our final hour with one another MacKenzie and Vance will facilitate sessions that intentionally engage participants in several opportunities to develop questions about their own professional practice, identifying barriers that most commonly get in the way of us all embodying an inquiry mindset. During the two days attendees will be tasked to consider alternatives to our professional approach that are rooted in specific constructivist frameworks, structures, and protocols that seamlessly transfers and supports students, teachers, coaches, coordinators and leaders. Be ready to take Critical and Creative thinking elements to a new level!
Registration includes a copy of the presenters’ latest publications:
Inquiry Mindset Assessment Edition: Scaffolding a partnership for Equity and Agency in Learning. Trevor Mackenzie (2021)
Leading with a Lens of Inquiry: Cultivating Conditions for Curiosity and Empowering Agency. Jessica Vance (2022)
Morning tea, lunch, workshop resources and online offerings are included. You will also have access to ongoing support and connections to a wider global community of Inquiry educators.
Trevor MacKenzie is an experienced teacher, author, keynote speaker and inquiry consultant who has worked in schools throughout Australia, Asia, North America, South Africa and Europe. Trevor’s passion is in supporting schools in implementing inquiry-based learning practices. He is a highly regarded speaker known for his heartfelt storytelling, kind demeanor, and student-first philosophy.
Trevor’s graduate research focused on identifying and removing the barriers to implementing inquiry-based learning in the K-12 setting. He is an inquiry practitioner currently as a teacher with the Greater Victoria School District in Victoria, Canada. He has three publications: Dive into Inquiry; Inquiry Mindset Elementary Edition; Inquiry Mindset Assessment Edition; all published by Elevate Books Edu. He has vast experience supporting schools across several years in implementation strategies in public schools, international schools, and International Baccalaureate programs
Trevor MacKenzie is an award-winning English teacher who believes that it is a magical time to be an educator. By increasing student agency over learning, weaving in strong pedagogy, transformative tech use, and sharing learning to a public audience, Trevor’s learners are ready to take on important roles in the 21st century.
With a professional teaching and leadership background in both the private and public international schools (IB PYP Educator & PYP Coordinator), Jessica Vance, brings a unique perspective to her role as Enrichment & Environment Coordinator. Her passion for student centered learning, collaboration, and coaching stems from the students themselves, finding inspiration in their natural curiosity as they authentically engage in learning experiences inside and outside of the classroom. Jessica strongly believes in the power of leading with a lens of inquiry, facilitating innovative professional learning opportunities and coaching sessions that provide the space for educators to collaborate and reflect, while supporting their professional growth as inquiry practitioners.
Her journey and experience as an inquiry educator in IB schools and Place Based Education fuels her passion and global work in coaching both teachers and leaders in their roles, as well as supporting schools in implementing inquiry based learning. Jessica understands the power of curiosity to guide next steps, creating the space we all need as learners as we actively engage in a reflective practice. In her newest publication, Leading with a Lens of Inquiry, she outlines the ways in which we, as leaders, need to support and facilitate our teachers in the same ways in which we want our teachers to engage with their students.
Terms & Conditions
AISWA Professional Learning – In Person Event
- Detailed In Person event T&Cs here. Below is an overview only.
In Person event conditions
- Attendance records: Participants must sign-in on the day to confirm attendance. A member school can also view this data for their staff.
- Privacy disclaimer: PL Events may be live-streamed, recorded or photographed by AISWA for sharing. Attendees have the right to be excluded from such records but must notify AISWA of their wishes before the start of the event. NB: This condition was acknowledged during registration. See full T&Cs here.
- Attendee swaps: Acceptable. The organiser must be notified. There are conditions.
- Walk Ins: Any non-registered attendee MUST disclose this to AISWA on arrival. A correct registration process can then be followed.
- IT Acceptable Use Policy: Compliance with this policy for the use of AISWA’s on-site equipment, internet and website is required.
- Payment Conditions: Price includes GST. Credit card payment only for Guests. Member schools will be invoiced post-event.
- Cancellation: Cancellation is without charge if prior to Cancellation Permitted date. Cancellations via this website. Late cancellations or failure to attend will incur full cost. Refer any issues to the Event Organiser. If AISWA cancels a PL Event, attendees will be notified by email and any payment will be refunded.
- Free event non-attendance: A fee of $25 may apply. See full T&Cs.
Please click here to view our general terms and conditions
Festival of Inquiry - Day 1
Date / Time17 Jul 2023 Starts: 08:30 Finishes: 15:30
Delivery Format : In Person
31 Lawley Crescent