A full day workshop for language teachers who are teaching in an early childhood context.
This workshop will present the principles and practices of the Early Years Learning Framework (EYLF) and the new WA Kindergarten Curriculum Guidelines and offer ideas to integrate the framework's outcomes into a Pre-K to Year 2 Languages classroom in practical and engaging ways. There will also be time to plan and prepare a unit of work using these principles.
Aimed at language teachers unfamiliar with the EYLF and/or those new to the early learning space, the session will provide opportunities for discussion, showcase ideas and time for preparation and planning.
Clare Slyth (AISWA Staff)
Consultant | Teaching And Learning
Clare is one of our Teaching and Learning Consultants for Languages. She provides support, advice and professional learning to schools on teaching strategies, curriculum, and resources. Prior to this role, Clare taught Mandarin for 6 years in a primary context, with experience in using and training others in the WA Curriculum. Previously, she worked as an EALD teacher in Shanghai, China. Apart from Mandarin, she has learned to speak French, Thai and Romanian. Clare is passionate about sharing effective teaching practices and methodologies with teachers and seeing them succeed in their language teaching.
Wendy Candy (AISWA Staff)
Early Childhood Consultant
Wendy Candy is an Early Childhood Consultant with AISWA. She is an experienced educator, leader, and mentor with expertise in designing innovative curricula and pedagogy in early childhood contexts. In 2019, Wendy was the recipient of the Australian Council for Educational Leaders WA Teacher Leader Award for Excellence. She has taught in early years classrooms and in universities and has conducted research on supporting educators and engaging children in ethical decision-making around sustainability issues. Wendy is currently researching educational leaders’ perspectives on play-based learning. Wendy is passionate about professional growth, teaching pedagogies and curriculum development, sustainability and quality learning and teaching. Wendy has recent teaching experiences and stories of practice, and she looks forward to providing support and mentoring for educators and leaders. Her work at AISWA includes supporting the development of Quality Improvement Plans, mentoring and coaching, assisting with planning and programming, and providing advice in early childhood pedagogy, including literacy, play-based learning and nature pedagogy.
Terms & Conditions
AISWA Professional Learning – In Person Event
- Detailed In Person event T&Cs here. Below is an overview only.
In Person event conditions
- Attendance records: Participants must sign-in on the day to confirm attendance. A member school can also view this data for their staff.
- Privacy disclaimer: PL Events may be live-streamed, recorded or photographed by AISWA for sharing. Attendees have the right to be excluded from such records but must notify AISWA of their wishes before the start of the event. NB: This condition was acknowledged during registration. See full T&Cs here.
- Attendee swaps: Acceptable. The organiser must be notified. There are conditions.
- Walk Ins: Any non-registered attendee MUST disclose this to AISWA on arrival. A correct registration process can then be followed.
- IT Acceptable Use Policy: Compliance with this policy for the use of AISWA’s on-site equipment, internet and website is required.
- Payment Conditions: Price includes GST. Credit card payment only for Guests. Member schools will be invoiced post-event.
- Cancellation: Cancellation is without charge if prior to Cancellation Permitted date. Cancellations via this website. Late cancellations or failure to attend will incur full cost. Refer any issues to the Event Organiser. If AISWA cancels a PL Event, attendees will be notified by email and any payment will be refunded.
- Free event non-attendance: A fee of $25 may apply. See full T&Cs.
Please click here to view our general terms and conditions
Early Years Language Learning
Date / Time19 Feb 2024 Starts: 08:30 Finishes: 15:00
Delivery Format : In Person
AISWA Valerie Gould RoomAddress
Suite 2, 41 Walters Drive
Osborne Park WA 6017