A whole-day workshop for teachers of EAL/D learners in the secondary years (7-12).
During this whole-day professional learning event, there will be a series of information sessions and presentations by EAL/D consultants from the Department of Education, Catholic Education and AISWA, and opportunities for sharing.
This event is targeted at teachers who teach discrete EAL/D classes. However, teachers who provide individual support to EAL/D learners are encouraged to participate. An option to attend remotely via Teams will be provided for teachers based in regional and remote schools.
9am Introduction, setting goals for the day (Kate Reitzenstein)
9.30am EAL/D Curriculum Planning + Q&A – (Angelique Smith)
10.30am Morning Tea
10.50am Programming ideas for EAL/D Years 7-10 (Kate Reitzenstein)
11.15am What to do in the absence of an EAL/D Curriculum (Rubi Mabrouk)
1pm Assessment Practices for EAL/D students (Marisa Schiavi)
2.15pm EAL/D Toolkit (as teacher and leader) / Final reflections (Kate Reitzenstein)
Angelique Smith is Acting Principal Consultant for EAL/D, School Curriculum and Standards Authority
Rubi Mabrouk is Principal Consultant for EALD Secondary, District High Schools and Post School Pathways, Statewide Services - Department of Education
Marisa Schiavi is Languages & EAL/D Consultant, Catholic Education WA
Kate Reitzenstein is Languages Consultant, Association of Independent Schools of WA
The aims of the workshop:
- To build a cross-sectoral network of Secondary EALD teachers
- To develop a common understanding of aligning assessment with the EAL/D Progress Map
- To share ideas, resources and programs, particularly for Year 7-10
- To consolidate understanding of the recent changes to the EAL/D Year 11 courses and moderation practices
Terms & Conditions
AISWA Professional Learning – In Person Event
- Detailed In Person event T&Cs here. Below is an overview only.
In Person event conditions
- Attendance records: Participants must sign-in on the day to confirm attendance. A member school can also view this data for their staff.
- Privacy disclaimer: PL Events may be live-streamed, recorded or photographed by AISWA for sharing. Attendees have the right to be excluded from such records but must notify AISWA of their wishes before the start of the event. NB: This condition was acknowledged during registration. See full T&Cs here.
- Attendee swaps: Acceptable. The organiser must be notified. There are conditions.
- Walk Ins: Any non-registered attendee MUST disclose this to AISWA on arrival. A correct registration process can then be followed.
- IT Acceptable Use Policy: Compliance with this policy for the use of AISWA’s on-site equipment, internet and website is required.
- Payment Conditions: Price includes GST. Credit card payment only for Guests. Member schools will be invoiced post-event.
- Cancellation: Cancellation is without charge if prior to Cancellation Permitted date. Cancellations via this website. Late cancellations or failure to attend will incur full cost. Refer any issues to the Event Organiser. If AISWA cancels a PL Event, attendees will be notified by email and any payment will be refunded.
- Free event non-attendance: A fee of $25 may apply. See full T&Cs.
Please click here to view our general terms and conditions
EAL/D Secondary Workshop
Date / Time13 Sep 2022 Starts: 09:00 Finishes: 15:00
Delivery Format : In Person
AISWA Training Room Suite 1Address
Suite 1, 41 Walters Drive
Osborne Park WA 6017
PL Hours : 5.50
- Secondary (7-10)
- Senior Secondary (11 - 12)
- Year 7
- Year 8
- Year 9
- Year 10
- Year 11
- Year 12