|For Catholic Members
The WA Curriculum is underpinned by an intercultural approach to language teaching. This approach moves away from the traditional approach, often typified by 'festivals, food and folktales'. Rather than treating culture separately, an intercultural approach highlights how cultural world-views and assumptions are continually enacted through language, and prompts learners to consider their own, as well as, the target language and culture.
This workshop aims to:
• Present a rationale for an intercultural approach for the language program and the school,
• Enrich your current practice by providing strategies to weave intercultural learning into every lesson,
• Reflect on current programs and collaborate with colleagues on ways to deepen learners intercultural understanding,
• Suggest tools to take back to your school to share your learning.
Participants are encouraged to bring along their programs for review using an intercultural lens, and to share strategies and techniques to strengthen learners identity as global citizens.
Clare Slyth (AISWA Staff)
Consultant | Teaching And Learning
Clare is one of our Teaching and Learning Consultants for Languages. She provides support, advice and professional learning to schools on teaching strategies, curriculum, and resources. Prior to this role, Clare taught Mandarin for 6 years in a primary context, with experience in using and training others in the WA Curriculum. Previously, she worked as an EALD teacher in Shanghai, China. Apart from Mandarin, she has learned to speak French, Thai and Romanian. Clare is passionate about sharing effective teaching practices and methodologies with teachers and seeing them succeed in their language teaching.
Terms & Conditions
AISWA Professional Learning – In Person Event
- Detailed In Person event T&Cs here. Below is an overview only.
In Person event conditions
- Attendance records: Participants must sign-in on the day to confirm attendance. A member school can also view this data for their staff.
- Privacy disclaimer: PL Events may be live-streamed, recorded or photographed by AISWA for sharing. Attendees have the right to be excluded from such records but must notify AISWA of their wishes before the start of the event. NB: This condition was acknowledged during registration. See full T&Cs here.
- Attendee swaps: Acceptable. The organiser must be notified. There are conditions.
- Walk Ins: Any non-registered attendee MUST disclose this to AISWA on arrival. A correct registration process can then be followed.
- IT Acceptable Use Policy: Compliance with this policy for the use of AISWA’s on-site equipment, internet and website is required.
- Payment Conditions: Price includes GST. Credit card payment only for Guests. Member schools will be invoiced post-event.
- Cancellation: Cancellation is without charge if prior to Cancellation Permitted date. Cancellations via this website. Late cancellations or failure to attend will incur full cost. Refer any issues to the Event Organiser. If AISWA cancels a PL Event, attendees will be notified by email and any payment will be refunded.
- Free event non-attendance: A fee of $25 may apply. See full T&Cs.
Please click here to view our general terms and conditions
Intercultural Language Learning
Date / Time14 Mar 2024 Starts: 09:00 Finishes: 15:00
Delivery Format : In Person
AISWA Valerie Gould RoomAddress
Suite 2, 41 Walters Drive
Osborne Park WA 6017